My Daily Log - Week 3 & What I'm Wearing


Week 1 and Week 2 were fairly successful in that I did exercise at least 5 times each week, although I fit those activities into only 4 days on Week 1, and modified my schedule quite a bit in Week 2. Anyway it is Week 3, and it is time to update my plans and give you some insight into my gear - or at least my running shoes.
========================================================================
I currently wear Vibram Komodo Sport LS cross-training shoes as my everything exercise shoe. I've had them for just over a year, and I love them! The newer version is named the KMD Sport LS, and I want a pair, but there is nothing wrong with mine that a washing machine can't fix. People ask me about them regularly, and I tell them that the adjustment can be painful. With the new thinner soles my running style changed and I could feel that my toes and calves became more engaged while I ran. That meant that I used my calf muscles a lot more than I had in the past. It took about three weeks and 8-9 runs before I could comfortably run 3-5 miles in the shoes.
Thinner soled and "barefoot" shoes are currently the rage in running, but you may wish to start out with a fitting at a running store. There they can check for pronation, your need for arch support, and just give sound advice regarding the best running shoe for you.

I also use them for hiking and Zumba, and I have friends who use them as their primary shoes when weightlifting.

MY GOALS FOR 4/8 - 4/15
I'm trying to exercise at least five days a week. I want to be able to run a half marathon (the one that I still haven't signed up for), I want to be more fit, and to make sure that exercise becomes a habit. I'm sharing it here because it helps me be more accountable, and because my hair is along for the ride!


Monday:
Goal: Zumba - I'm starting to feel like I've got the hang of it! I'm not saying that I'm good, but I can say that I've gone three times now, and I'm feeling better each time I go. I've also realized that my sports bras, which work really well for my running style, don't cut it for Zumba.

Outcome: I went to Zumba. The class was crowded and space was limited. I wore capris and a different sports bra. I felt a little more secure than I did last time - but I also moved a little less. I still had a great cardio focused workout, but being more mindful of my neighbors made me cautious...and I still don't have all the moves down, so limited space mixed with limited skill equals me feeling constricted.

I'm going to switch instructors next time because different teachers bring different skills to the table.

Tuesday:

Goal: Yoga or a run. I MISS YOGA, so I'm going to leave work a little early and go to a class, or I'll run either at lunchtime or right after work.

Outcome: I ran this morning. It was very difficult to start, and at some points it was difficult to continue. I ran 4.95 miles in 55 minutes on legs that didn't want to run. But I figured that since I was stuck outside anyway, I might as well finish. I'm tired, but at least I did something. I couldn't go to a class because I had plans and needed to make sure I exercised in the morning.

- I just re-read what I wrote on Tuesday night. I'm going to stop acting like running almost 5 miles in 55 minutes wasn't an accomplishment. I'm not the fastest runner in the world, and I'm not someone that is a natural long distance runner. I've tried for a number of years to run further, faster, and it is paying off. I'm trying and I'm proud of myself.

Hair: I wore my twisted hair in two fairly tight ponytails, and I pinned the ends under. I also wore a headband. At the end of the run, my edges were smooth, and my hair was fine.

Wednesday:

Goal: Signed up for Zumba class #5!

Outcome: I went, I had a new instructor. I was terrible. But I jumped, grapevined, cha cha cha'd, did my salsa step and tried to keep up. I know that I got a good workout. My only concern is that my calves are still hurting - but it might be because I am doing a lot of jumping, and my calves just aren't used to doing so much work.

Hair: I wore my twists in a non-braiders braid. See post here. It survived the class, sleep, and I'm still wearing it the next day.


Thursday:

Goal: Run with a running group. I've run with BGR (Black Girls Run) and Urban Run Club, and I'd like to try with a new group of people that I've never met, just to see how it goes. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Outcome: I'm not sure yet. I did some jump rope, squats, jumping jacks, and burpees this mornng because I have plans tonight, but I brought workout clothing with me in case I want to go for a run at lunchtime.  - Update:  I didn't!

Hair: Still in the non-braiders braid (link above).

Friday:

Goal: Something new! It is great to try new things - it stimulates the mind and the body.

Outcome: I worked later than I planned, and didn't do anything. But while surfing the web, I found out about an 8k/15k that the City of Atlanta and the Atlanta Track Club were sponsoring. I told myself that I was going to run 10 miles on Saturday anyway, so I might as well do this instead. So even though I went home and ate a cupcake, I told myself that if I woke up early enough, I would go register for this race.

Hair: I undid the Non-braiders' braid. I'm going to update the post with the style.

Saturday:

Goal:  Run/Hike. I hope to hike 2 miles and run 10. We'll see.
New Goal: Spring has Sprung 8k/15k start time 7:30am

Outcome: I ran the 15k (9.3 miles) in 103 minutes or just over 11 min/mile. I am glad I did it, but my calves hurt so much that I actually crawled from my bedroom to the bathroom a little while ago. I know that is TMI but my calves HURT!!!! Anyway this is the furthest I've run since my first and only half marathon in 2009. I also joined the Atlanta Track Club, so I could run in a few more of their races this year.

I took a photo of some naturals from BGR, and a young lady with a super cute puff...There were a lot of naturals out and about during this run.

Me in all my sweaty glory. I have my twists in a tucked
under ponytail and under a hat. My twists were unharmed by the run.

Sunday:

Goal: Walk or Yoga

Outcome: I went for a walk first thing this morning. It was about 2.5 miles in 40 minutes. I wore my thicker soled running Mizunos and my calves were ok for the walk, although they are still really sore. I stretched throughout the day yesterday, last night, and this morning. I can get around, but I think that I'll still feel it until tomorrow.

Hair: Up in a high side ponytail. I wore my hair in a modified stuffed puff yesterday, and it ended up putting a little curl in my hair. I'll take a pic and possibly post it later.


Goals: Accomplished!



You have read this articleexercise / run / shoes with the title My Daily Log - Week 3 & What I'm Wearing. You can bookmark this page URL https://twisthairstyles.blogspot.com/2013/04/my-daily-log-week-3-what-i-wearing.html. Thanks!
Write by: Unknown - Monday, April 8, 2013

Comments "My Daily Log - Week 3 & What I'm Wearing"

Post a Comment