Twists Are the New Black...

Fairly fresh twists
If you didn't know, now you know...twists are the new black! They always look good, and you can wear them everywhere. I went back to my twists after two months of my hair being loose. After I washed out my press, I missed my twists every single time I had to decide to do what to do with my hair.

Basic Steps

I always start my twists from wet or damp hair, although I will sometimes refresh/redo my twists when they are dry.

1. Separate hair into four sections, part your hair once from your forehead to the nape of your neck, and once from ear to ear. Leaving one section loose, clip up the other three until you are ready to twist them.

2. If the section is dry, dampen the entire section. Coat the section with some leave in conditioner and oil. Take the large section and subdivide it to the point where you are comfortable with the size of each twist. You may wish to do this one row of twists at a time, with the rest clipped up until you are ready to twist same.

3. Take hair for the individual twist, finger detangle, then coat it with your sealing product (mine is usually a shea butter based mix).
Shrinking in the new year...

4. Separate it into two sections and continue to put one strand over the other until you form a twist from the root to the tip of that section of hair. 

5. Continue this process until each section of your hair is complete. 

You may wish to check out a YouTube video for a more detailed tutorial.... 

Benefits
And as I've said before, my hair loves to shrink. I don't mind if my hair looks short, but I've realized that my hair is a lot easier to work with when it is in twists, because twisting provides a heat-free stretch, and because I can, and will do, at least thirty-one hairstyles with my twists. They are also a fantastic protective style. I've cut back on my single strand knots by about 90%, and my hair has gotten thicker because I'm losing less hair to combs, through washes and because there is just less manipulation overall.


Time

 Don't worry about the time it takes to twist your hair. First of all, you don't have to have mini-twists to have twists that you can style. My twists are at least twice the size of of mini twists, and I braid them, curl them, bun them up, do updo's, Bantus, and anything else I can think of. And when I spend 3-4 hours to twist my loose, damp hair into twists I know that I won't be spending more than a few minutes on them a day for at least the next week or two. And even then, I'm just redoing my edges. When I don't have twists I find myself spending at least an hour at a time on my hair every two or three days. That is too much of an investment (for me).

 
Washing/Conditioning/Products

And I know that when I twist and re-twist my hair that I will give my hair and scalp the attention it needs. I dampen, co-wash, wash, and deep condition my twists regularly. I know that I will be able to apply oil and seal my hair quickly afterwards. It is very easy to run product over and through twists - a lot easier than trying to part loose hair and applying product in sections. I use all of the same products that I use on my loose hair, but with the twists, I don't worry about if the products are too thick. I just use them during the twisting process.

In my post Get the Fuzz Outta Here I talk about maintaining your twists. Check there for my overall advice.   

For me, twists are my old faithful style, but for those of you who switch back and forth, or who don't ever wear your hair in twists - try it out! You might love it.

You have read this articledouble strand / ebook / hairstyle / maintenance / twists / two-strand with the title Twists Are the New Black.... You can bookmark this page URL https://twisthairstyles.blogspot.com/2013/04/twists-are-new-black.html. Thanks!
Write by: Unknown - Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Comments "Twists Are the New Black..."

Post a Comment