I Need to Change My Diet & Daily Log:+Workout Week 10

Image via idealshape.com
I admit it. I've been trying to "focus on fitness" without changing the one thing that makes the most impact. My diet. I don't eat particularly well, in that I LOVE bread, I like sugar, I'm not great at portion control, and I eat fast food. Even so, I eat better than I did a few years ago, but I am clearly still a work in progress. I've tried eating plans that have followed the principles provided below, and I lost weight. What I didn't gain, however, was the desire to stick to the principles after my self-mandated trial period expired....I'm working on that too.

According to many of the eating plans that I've read, our major eating goals for the day should focus on  water intake, increasing the number of small meals and snacks that we eat throughout the day (5-6) and focusing on both portion size and requiring a mix of proteins (fish, meat, dairy, nuts, eggs),  fiber (fruits, veggies, and whole grains), and good fats (such as the omega-3s, omega-6s and omega-9s found in certain fish, nuts, avocados, grape seed and olive oil). To that end, I am adding a food component to my daily log, and I'm going to try to do better with my overall routine. I've included some eating plans below, but please note that you should consult with your health-care professional prior to entering into any eating plan, and please tailor them as needed to ensure that your individual nutritional and caloric needs are met.

Women's Health Magazine's Best Body Meal Plan - Calories - around 1500. This plan provides a comprehensive six-week food guide, recipes, and grocery plans. With all of the options, it seems like its easy enough to find some go-to recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks.

Prevention Magazine's Perfect Day of Eating - Calories - 1500-2100. The food plan is not as specific as those provided above and below, but it does an excellent job of mapping out the day in terms of eating, drinking, exercising, and explaining why they've made those recommendations.

Fitbie's Three Day Eating Plan - Calories - about 1600. I like this plan because although it uses the same basic principles as the first two, the snacks on this plan have a higher calorie count, and I imagine that they feel like mini-meals instead of just stop gaps until dinner.
=======================================================================

Monday

Goal: Anything

Outcome: I did Week 9's 7 minute workout! It really was a good, whole-body workout. I only worked for 7 minutes but I was breathing hard for at least 10.

Hair: Still in my style from earlier in the day. Check out www.keek.com/NaturallyTwisted to see it...

Nutrition: I went to the Farmer's Market over the weekend and got a cart full of fruits and veggies. But yesterday I only ate fruit and delicious left-over Indian food (no I didn't actually eat at the Memorial Day get-together). I did try to keep my portions small, I did spread the food out throughout the day into small portions, and I did drink a lot of water.

Tuesday

Goal: Something upon the 1st few hour of waking, and Zumba. I haven't been in weeks - likely because I haven't written my piece on my Zumba studio yet, and I feel guilty....but it is coming this week.

Outcome: I did do 50 jumping jacks within an hour of waking. That evening I went to the gym at work and did some time on the elliptical machine, then did weighted jumping jacks and squats.

Hair: I still had my hair in the twist-out - it just got bigger.

Nutrition: I am bringing Zucchini Cashew Soup, salad, and an apple for lunch, and a hummus/celery snack. I'm going to buy a rotisserie chicken at some point this week, but I may keep it vegan today if I can top off the night with a veggie stir-fry and quinoa. We'll see.

I didn't end up eating my soup, but I did have my hummus and celery. I also ate trail mix with seasame and pumpkin seeds, raisins, dried cranberries, cashews, almonds and a little dried fruit. I did a decent job of spacing everything out, so I had a series of small snacks throughout the day. (I also ate a few pieces of candy - but not nearly as much sugar as I had been taking in)...

Wednesday

Goal: Boxing

Outcome: Nothing

Hair: Same

Nutrition: I had a turkey wrap (in two portions) and Red Mill hot cereal for dinner.

Thursday

Goal: Run!!!!

Outcome: Nothing. I slept when I got home.

Hair: Still in the twist-out, but at that point it was basically standing up in an Afro.

Nutrition: I didn't eat well yesterday. I ate some homemade turtle candies, a cupcake, then Benihana's (but at least I only ate half)...

Friday

Goal: Yoga

Outcome: I don't know yet, but I'm thinking the gym. I did do some jumping jacks this morning when I woke up. TRUE OUTCOME: I didn't do as much as I hoped but I did employ what I sometimes think of as my exercise compromise. I watched some TV and did pushups, sit-ups and squats during commercials. I should have just done the 7 minute routine again!

Hair: In a big beautiful puff.

Nutrition: It was a mixed bag...It wasn't my best or worst day...

Saturday

Goal: Run then boxing?

Outcome: I ran! I did 5 miles in the heat. No boxing...I had too much to do on Saturday.

Hair: Still in my puff.

Nutrition: I ate a lot of fruit on Saturday, and I enjoyed both a cupcake and some wings...but I only ate a few of them (along with some jerk chicken), but I kept my portions small, and I tried to act like I had some sense. Overall - I am ok with my nutritional choices.

Sunday

Goal: Run or walk

Outcome: It is 5:07 pm and I haven't exercised yet. I had a plan in mind that included running, and I should do it, but I've realized that when I am running by myself I am always better off starting my day with a run instead of trying to wind down the day that way.

Outcome: I did it! It was about 84 degrees and muggy, but I ran. I did about 4.3 miles in 47 minutes. Checking my speed, I got slower and slower as the miles passed - and I have to work on my hydration, wardrobe, and overall stamina. I want to get faster, not slower.

Hair: Puffed out - but I may try to henna it tonight. Maybe.

Nutrition: I made myself a large fruit salad and a large lettuce salad this morning. I hope that they can take me through the next few days, and help keep me on the path of better nutrition. I also had a snack of hummus, carrots and celery, and a few more of those chicken wings. I don't know that I will eat anything else today - but I feel good about my choices and I don't feel deprived. That is a real victory for me.

=================================

Outcome: I did exercise 5 days, and I also lost 3lbs!!!

===================================
For the previous weeks, click here: Week 1,  Week 2,  Week 3Week 4Week 5Week 6Week 7 Week 8, and Week 9
You have read this articlediet / exercise / fitness / health / nutrition with the title I Need to Change My Diet & Daily Log:+Workout Week 10. You can bookmark this page URL http://twisthairstyles.blogspot.com/2013/05/i-need-to-change-my-diet-daily.html. Thanks!
Write by: Unknown - Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Comments "I Need to Change My Diet & Daily Log:+Workout Week 10"

Post a Comment