Never Had a Relaxer?

Did you know that these celebrities have never had chemical relaxers?

Wendy Williams

We may be more familiar with her looking like this:


Image via Karl Giant
for "The Wendy Williams Show"
But when she was a kid, she looked like this:



Wendy Williams has never been known for showcasing her own hair. She is a wig queen, and has been for years. But last year she shared that she too is a naturalista...(as stated on her Facebook page):

"Wendy at 10-years-old sporting her 'everyday look'.  It was quick and easy to do on her own. "Here’s a little secret: Wendy has never had a perm."

via TheYBF.com

YaYa Dacosta

I remember loving YaYa's hair when I first saw her on "America's Next Top Model". I was amazed by the volume and the beauty. A few years ago she spoke about her natural hair, and her "hairstory":

So pretty!!!
Image via popsession.com
In my family, you know my mother never had a relaxer in her entire life. My sister and I (have never had a relaxer) it was never an option. It wasn’t me trying to be a revolutionary, you know cutting off my perm trying to make a statement. It had nothing to do with that. That was just how I wore my hair and when I was younger, especially in junior high, I excelled academically but not socially I didn’t because people didn’t like me. I was skinny, I had natural hair and that’s just so uncool and I didn’t have name brand clothes and all those other things. So it became something that obviously was a part of me and I never wanted to change it and it never got to me to the point where I wanted to change it. I just realised that I was different and it was ok because my parents let me know that it was ok to be different. Once I got to high school though, things changed. Friends of mine who had relaxers started to ask me about to get my hair and started to confess that they like it like it was a really a dark secret. So I’ve always felt like an ambassador, I never really wanted to be but I would try to help people out and show love. I just realised how empowering it was and you know these days even strangers come up to me saying 'I cut my hair off and you inspired me' and it’s great and it makes you realise that times are changing. Ultimately I just want my hair to be healthy. So to act as the whole ambassador thing is by default and it’s a blessing and I’m glad that so many people are inspired, I think the more the merrier. That way if more girls feel beautiful as they are then great, but at the same time I’m not judging anybody, so please weave it up! Do what makes you feel good.
via The Coco Diaries

Kim Wayans


50 & Fabulous!
Image via forum.blackhairplanet.com
Natural hair is so liberating, you’re most beautiful when you’re not hiding. I’ve never had a perm; I used to have it straightened with a hot comb, back in my "A Different World" days. My mom never let us get perms -- she said if you wanted to alter your hair like that, you can wait until you’re grown and you are out of this house!

via Essence.com

Do you know of any other lifetime naturals?
You have read this articlecelebrities / natural hair with the title Never Had a Relaxer?. You can bookmark this page URL http://twisthairstyles.blogspot.com/2013/05/never-had-relaxer.html. Thanks!
Write by: Unknown - Friday, May 24, 2013

Comments "Never Had a Relaxer?"

Post a Comment