Hair Inspiration - Today's Hair 3/4

I saw this look on Instagram and decided that it would be a cute, simple protective style to try. It looked like I could wear for a week or so, so it seemed like a winner. 

Source: Unknown but via Ladyinfluence on Instagram

I thought I would need:
3 or 4 elastic bands
4 hair clips
comb
brush
gel of choice
Bobby pins
Blow dryer
A bag of kanekolon or Marley extension hair

Am I the only woman around with bundles of hair at home? I went to my hair drawer to complete this look and found four different types of hair for extensions, and a wig. But no kanekolon or Marley hair, so I used the yaky hair that I had. Unfortunately, it was very straight and a 1b with cranberry highlights. I was feeling dubious, but I pushed ahead anyway.

Directions - as I imagined them:

1. Separate the hair into four sections, with the first section to become a bang. Clip each section until needed.

2. Lightly blow dry each of the three sections of hair that are to be ponytailed - if the hair has not been stretched previously. 

3. If it has been stretched, or after it's been blown out, comb the hair into 3 fairly tight ponytails using your gel of choice.

4. Lightly blow dry the front section of hair until it is fairly straight, and form a bang. 

5. Take the extension hair and incorporate it into the hair hanging from the ponytails. You should be forming a large two-strand twist that runs from the first ponytail to the end of the extension hair. 

The easiest way to incorporate the extension hair is to use it at its full length. Wrap the hair around the base of the first ponytail and use the two pieces of extension hair and one unit of your own hair to begin braiding. Do two or three rotations for a braid, then switch to a two strand twist that incorporates both your hair and the extension hair.

5. Be prepared to cut, burn or ponytail the ends of your two-strand twist. 

This style can be completed without extension hair, but you will likely have more fullness with the added hair.

Here are my results with the yaky hair:

I got really close to the original style - and I'm kind of proud of myself. I did end up using the straight yaky hair and I was right, I didn't love it. The texture and the color felt very different, a little too different, than my own. Also my blow dryer died while blowing out my second ponytail, so I had to revamp the style a little. I put all of my hair into 3 sections instead of 4. I split the first ponytail. I put half of the ends of my ponytail towards the back and added hair as described above. The other half I put forward and braided with yaky hair to form a braided bang. I swirled it up and pinned it down. I put the end of the two-strand twist into a ponytail holder and let it hang. Oh and I used straight aloe vera as my gel of choice.  

Overall - I wouldn't use this hair for this style again. If I had used hair with more texture, I wouldn't have felt the need to blow dry my own hair. In the future, I would also likely form a bang with one large twist pinned up instead of using so much extension hair.

I have an idea on some changes, so check back tomorrow for an update!  Here is the link to the new look

If you are looking for easy, cute and sophisticated styles - check out my book, One Hairstyle, Thirty-one Ways! Both editions are available on Amazon.com, and you can find the links from the home page.

You have read this articlehair inspiration / hairstyle / Instagram with the title Hair Inspiration - Today's Hair 3/4. You can bookmark this page URL http://twisthairstyles.blogspot.com/2014/03/hair-inspiration-today-hair-34.html. Thanks!
Write by: Unknown - Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Comments "Hair Inspiration - Today's Hair 3/4"

Post a Comment