Hair Inspiration - Flexirod Set by Aevin Dugas

 

I love drop curls whether you use flexirods, rollers or curl formers. I just  rarely think to do them because in my head they take a long time and I don't think they hold on loose natural hair (but I did feature them as a style in my book, One Hairstyle, Thirty-one Ways available on Amazon.com)...and the photo above proves me at least 1/2 wrong. And I need to remember that in my past attempts I did not try to set the hair with anything but water, and I think it needed more holding power than that - especially if done without heat.

I came across this photo of Ms. Aevin Dugas, Guiness Book of Records record holder for the world's largest Afro, saw that world of curls and am inspired to throw some rollers in my hair and see what happens. I know that I will likely end up with a curly puff, and not a whole head of flexirods.

I'll start with the steps I believe she used to create her look:

1. Dampen hair lightly with a leave-in conditioner and oil of your choice.

2. Section the hair into fairly small sections as you go - probably ending up with between 20 - 30 rollers (depending on the length and thickness of your hair).

3. For each section of lightly dampened hair, coat the strands with a gel or thick cream of your choice.

4. Roll each section of hair from root to tip in an upward motion - attempting to get continuous movement of the hair, so the layers of hair don't overlap on the rod.

5. Let the hair set until dry, or speed the process along by sitting under a dryer.

6. Dampen hands with oil to release the rods.

7. Remove the rods in the opposite direction from the way they were installed in order to maintain the curl. 

8. Gently split the curls until they reach the desired fullness. 
 
Remember you can do this style on loose natural hair, twists, locs, or braids. Try it out let me know how you like it, and if the steps are clear. And please check back to see my interpretation of the style.

 


You have read this articlebeauty / bighairdon'tcare / hairstyle / newdaynewdo with the title Hair Inspiration - Flexirod Set by Aevin Dugas. You can bookmark this page URL http://twisthairstyles.blogspot.com/2014/03/hair-inspiration-flexirod-set-by-aevin.html. Thanks!
Write by: Unknown - Monday, March 24, 2014

Comments "Hair Inspiration - Flexirod Set by Aevin Dugas"

Post a Comment