My Middle Eastern Adventure - Part IV

Dubai was the last stop on our trip, and it was the most cosmopolitan. It had a bustling, big city feel. There was a lot to do, and a lot to see - some of which we saw, and some we didn't. I wish that we had spent a week just exploring the city. 

I don't think that my photos will do the city justice, but I'll try.

Here are some photos of the Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world! I took a photo from the base, and some shots of it from various points in the city. It just stands out, as a giant against the skyline.


We took a helicopter tour:


We started at the marina and saw "The World" a series of man made islands meant to resemble a map of the world (center) and then on to the Palm Jurmeiah, another man made creation (bottom right). They are developing each of the palm fronds into business and living centers. The outside ring is also home to the Atlantis Hotel (see below for a few exterior shots). We also saw the Burj Al Arab (bottom left), an amazing building shaped like a sail. The smaller building nearby was built into a wave pattern. The city is full of neighborhood mosques (center left), and again is becoming more and more developed (center right). They've even stolen some famous architecture by creating their own enlarged Big Ben (top right). I don't know what I took a picture of in the bottom center photo, but it looked cool.





Gorgeous!

As was the Burj Al Arab at sunset.


Another Heritage Village:



Here's a dhow replica. They used to be used for pearl diving and importing and exporting goods.

We caught some kids on a field trip before we left.


We also had the chance to experience a little of Old Dubai by taking an abra, or water taxi, when traveling from the Textile Souk to the Spice and Gold Souks.



And it only cost $.27 each!

Speaking of the Gold Souk - look at this!!!


There were more beautiful mosques.


We also took a desert safari. And it was one of the scariest experiences of my life!


I was still praising Jesus for my safe arrival on semi-solid ground as I stood with our driver. He actually trains the other drivers on how to provide these death defying rides....so I guess we were the lucky beneficiaries of his experience.

I won't show you the embarrassing series of me jumping into the air, but I will let you see these camels....


Grazing? 


Dubai is known for its shopping, but the malls themselves were spectacular:



There's so much more I could show, more architecture, the metro, a photo of the midsection of the actual giant that works at the Ritz-Carlton, the souks, the marina, the ladies only taxis and metro cards, etc. but I'm just going to stop here... 

Thanks for sharing my adventure with me!

Sent from my iPhone

You have read this articlerandom / travel / UAE with the title My Middle Eastern Adventure - Part IV. You can bookmark this page URL http://twisthairstyles.blogspot.com/2014/02/my-middle-eastern-adventure-part-iv.html. Thanks!
Write by: Unknown - Saturday, February 8, 2014

Comments "My Middle Eastern Adventure - Part IV"

Post a Comment