My Daily Exercise Log: Week 4 & Trying New Things (Updated Daily)



Queen Underwood via USAtoday.com



Week 1Week 2 and Week 3 all had varying levels of success. Week 4 is here, and I NEED TO ADD VARIETY. I've read many exercise articles over the years, and most state that change is good for your body. It forces the body to adapt and burn more calories when trying new routines. Apparently the body becomes more and more efficient when it does the same routines over and over again, and when your body is more efficient your body uses less energy (and burns fewer calories) when doing the same workout.

If you regularly lift weights, you may want to add a sprint or 2 minutes of jump rope session in between sets. If you regularly run, you may wish to trade a run in for kickboxing, dancing, or a spin class once or twice a week to cross-train and possibly improve your run times. I've read about trainers that completely change their clients' routines after six sessions because they believe it encourages constant improvement. Sometimes a change in routine is good because boredom can set in when you repeat the same movements day after day. This week I'm signing up for rock climbing, I'll see if I can try a spin class, and see what happens.


MY GOALS FOR 4/15 - 4/21

Exercise five days a week. I still don't know what the ultimate goal will be, but since I'm signed up for the Peachtree Road Race, and I ran a 15k over the weekend, we'll see! But in order to follow my own advice, I'm going to add some new classes to my routine.


Monday:

Goal: Boxing - I've never tried it, I'm a little scared, and I don't want to pass out, but I'll let you know how it goes. My legs still hurt from the run Saturday and my walk yesterday, but I think they will be ok for boxing.

Outcome: I went to my first boxing class. I lived, but for more detail click here.

Hair: I wore my hair in the modified Lollipop that I did on Sunday.

Tuesday:

Me before & after class - my hair is unchanged.
I needed to redo my edges either way!

Goal: Run - I'm aiming for six miles.
New Goal: Zumba, then run 4-6 miles.

Outcome: I went to Zumba, then did squats when I got home. I wore my thick-soled Mizunos, but my left calf still hurt. I'm just going to expect it to hurt for the next couple of weeks. I'll live. I took a photo of one of my classmates and posted it on Instagram.

Hair: I let it steam in the shower on Tuesday then oiled it, put in some curl defining cream, and rolled the top and pinned it back. I planned to braid the back, but I was just barely in time for class so I left it as it was.


Wednesday:

Goal: Zumba - I'm already registered! I'm going to go back to my old sneakers to see if it makes a difference on my calves.
New Goal: Boxing - I'd be attending my first Women's boxing class.

Outcome: I didn't make it! I hit traffic, and it was so bad that I was going to miss half the class. I couldn't do it...and I didn't feel like running. In fact, I didn't feel like doing anything. I took a 4 mile walk instead. When I got home I spent about 15 minutes doing sun salutations. The yoga series gave me a really nice stretch for the whole body - and I needed it!

Hair: I did a modified Conch (from my book), and it survived the walk.

Thursday:

Goal: Yoga - I'm trying a new location that focuses on Ashtanga yoga. If I recall correctly it is strength based yoga, and power yoga is a derivation of the form. I predict that my thighs will give out before the class is over.
New goal: I'm going to Zumba. I wanted to speak to the instructor about her natural hair and how she maintains it, so I'll go the Zumba studio instead of the yoga class.

Outcome: Nothing. I worked late. In fact, although eating is not part of this plan, I had about 3 pieces of cake today (birthday celebration at work complete with 4 different cakes, a pie, brownies, and several other treats). And I went to the dentist in the morning.
Hair: I did a Ballerina bun, and since I didn't exercise - it lasted just fine!

Friday:

Goal: Spin - I've been to one spin class in life, but four people have talked to me about how much they sweat and worked during their spin classes, and it is making me want to try it. I've heard that there is a drop in class that I can attend, so I'll see what it's like. I hear that it is particularly difficult on your behind, so I'm not looking forward to that aspect of the class.
New goal: Yoga
New new goal: Zumba - I'm going to interview the instructor.

Outcome: I went to Zumba and I did interview the instructor, I'll do a post soon.

Hair: Modified version of the Queen - from my book, One Hairstyle, Thirty-one Ways.


Saturday:

Goal:  Run/Hike. I hope to hike 2 miles and run 10.
New goal: Add boxing class to the mix.

Outcome: I went to the boxing gym and got a great workout! I didn't go running, but I felt like I did because of the time at the boxing gym. 

Hair: Up in a Ballerina bun. It survived.

Sunday:

Goal: Yoga - If I survived on Thursday, I'm going to do a drop-in class that I know to be pretty gentle. Hopefully I'll get in a lot of good stretching.

Outcome: Nothing.

Hair: Modified Conch.
======================================================================
Overall I did exercise 5 days this week, but my workouts didn't feel as challenging as they do when I include running. I'm not going to go another week skipping my runs.
You have read this articleexercise / fitness / hair with the title My Daily Exercise Log: Week 4 & Trying New Things (Updated Daily). You can bookmark this page URL http://twisthairstyles.blogspot.com/2013/04/my-daily-exercise-log-week-4-trying-new.html. Thanks!
Write by: Unknown - Monday, April 15, 2013

Comments "My Daily Exercise Log: Week 4 & Trying New Things (Updated Daily)"

Post a Comment