17 Years Ago Today...

Image via googleappscentral.com
Today is the 17th anniversary of my car accident. Quick version of the story: I was crossing a street on my college campus one night on my way to study for an exam. It was dark & rainy, and a fellow student hit me. I flipped in the air, landed on the street, and got hurt. (Lost teeth, messed up my knees, elbow, wrist, face...)

This morning I was feeling grumpy about the after effects of the accident: my short term memory was (and remains) impaired; I crack and creak; my smile isn't as straight as it used to be; and I still have scars....but this evening I thought about what a gift each day of the last 17 years has been. My Mom passed away two years ago after succumbing to her second bout with cancer.  During those years in between being a sour teenager, to having a Mom I could call one of my best friends. I miss her every day, but I'm so glad I had those years with her. I had the chance to grow up, spend time with my family, travel, go to school, have a career, and do things that I love - like writing my books and this blog.

I've been blessed in this life.  I woke up today to experience a day full of sunlight and activity - I had a great discussion with my best friend; went for a run; did some research and had an encouraging discussion about some future plans; ate a great meal; and went to yoga. I got a gift in the mail (thank you hon!), and while I was picking it up the postal worker gave me a really sweet compliment. I talked to my Dad, and came home to see a photo that my sister (@colarrich) put on Instagram.

On days like today when I want to feel bad about the after effects - I am always struck by the fact that I survived! I am alive - and it didn't have to turn out like that. God blessed me with all of these extra years, and I am trying to take advantage of them! I hope that it doesn't take an accident for you to realize that you have to take advantage of every day that you've been given...


You have read this articlelife lessons / opportunity / random with the title 17 Years Ago Today.... You can bookmark this page URL http://twisthairstyles.blogspot.com/2013/03/17-years-ago-today.html. Thanks!
Write by: Unknown - Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Comments "17 Years Ago Today..."

Post a Comment