CURLFRIENDS: Tiki!

Wash-n-Go

One of my girlfriends is my featured Curlfriend! Thank you for taking the time out of your mommy, work, wife, and fitness time to answer my hair questions! Tiki is one of my exercise partners and a prime example of a woman who gracefully juggles many responsibilities while somehow managing to maintain a gorgeous head of hair.  

Why did you decide to go natural?
My decision to go natural was initially not really a decision.  I had been on a quest to achieve longer relaxed hair and started stretching my relaxers for 10-12 weeks when I got the bright idea in December 2007 to try to stretch for 1 year.  That turned out to be my “transition” to natural.  I eventually started thinking if I could make it one year without a relaxer then I didn’t need one.  And the rest is history.
Relaxed
Post Chop 2009

What stage of life were you in when you went natural (personally and or professionally) - student, working, in a relationship, parent? If you were in a relationship, what did your significant other say about your decision?
When my journey evolved into a transition to natural, my then boyfriend was on board with the journey.  He loved my long relaxed hair but told me I was beautiful regardless of how I styled my hair.  He was supportive of my transitioning hair styles and my hair flops.  At some point he actually told me I should do a big chop so that I could totally commit to the transition.  I didn't listen to him and continued to slowly trim the relaxed ends away.  That boyfriend became my husband and now that I’m completely natural he’s just as supportive as he was in December 2007.

Braid-n-Curl
What has been the best compliment you've received on your natural hair?
The best and most surprising compliment is people telling me they want hair like mine.  I’ve never thought of my hair as the hair that everyone would love to have.  Sure it’s always been thick, but I’ve never thought it was anything to write home about.  So it’s incredibly reassuring when someone says they’d like a natural hair tip from me because they’d like hair like mine.  It makes me think I’m doing something right.

What is the one tip you would give a new natural?
I’d tell them to not get caught up in hair envy.  Wishing you had so-and-so’s hair type and trying to use their product list and weekly regimen may not yield the same results for you.  Love your hair and make your hair the best it can be for you.

Puff
Do you feel like you are part of the natural hair community?
Not really.  I don’t take much time to think of my hair or other’s hair.  I’ve gone to a natural hair show, and I realized recently that most of my girlfriends are naturally curly, but I haven’t sat back and thought that I’m a part of a movement or a natural hair community.  I’m just doing what I like with my hair.  Whether it’s twisted, puffed, or straight it’s working for me.

Has your natural hair has influenced other parts of your life?

I think my choice to keep my hair in its natural state has made me feel better about my personal image.  I’m not as concerned about bad hair days or missing workouts because I’m worried about my hair.  So, I’ve become more physically active over the 5 years since I started my journey.  I also have a sense of pride that my son will see me in a positive light because I embrace how God made me.  I’d like him to see me and other Black women positively.


Curly Puff

What are your top three hair products or tools? 
Fortunately I didn’t have a real product junky stage, but I did have a brief period of trying products that were not working for my hair.  What I’ve found works for me is [keeping it] simple, simple, simple.  I co-wash with TRESemmé Naturals [conditioner] and lock in moisture with organic virgin coconut oil. I love Kinky Curly’s Knot Today leave in and I’ll try most creamy curling creams to do 2-strand twists.  I try to stay away from 'cones, but I’m not really strict about reading labels, I just use what seems to work well for my hair at the time. And last but not least, I cannot live without my hydration steamer!  That is my favorite tool!
Curly Tiki!

You can follow Tiki on Twitter: @FAMUDva 
You have read this articleCurlfriends with the title CURLFRIENDS: Tiki!. You can bookmark this page URL http://twisthairstyles.blogspot.com/2012/10/curlfriends-tiki.html. Thanks!
Write by: Unknown - Thursday, October 11, 2012

Comments "CURLFRIENDS: Tiki!"

Post a Comment