Hampton University - PLEASE STOP! Natural Hair in the Workplace....

Image via blackprofessionalwomen.com
While I agree that it is important to look professional, and possibly even conservative in certain workplaces, I do not agree that straightened hair is the only manifestation of the conservative or the professional. I feel that Hampton University is doing their students a disservice if they couch the issue as black and white: straight hair is good, anything else is bad. As black women with natural hair, there are myriad options for workplace hairstyles. Natural hair can be worn in a short or curly Afro, pulled back or up into buns, and out in twist-outs, in French braids, French twists, topknots or a number of other styles. In my opinion, the most important thing is that we appear "well-groomed" - and if that is something that you can't figure out, it doesn't matter if your hair is straightened or not.

I began my professional career with a twa over a decade ago, I've worked with many women with natural hair, and as far as I know, very few of them have ever experienced any problems based on their hair. I still wear my natural hair into the workplace, with it's natural texture, every day. Very few of my co-workers or superiors of other races have ever commented on my hair, at all, but if and when they do, their comments have always been positive. I have never felt that their respect for my opinion has ever been impacted by my choice of hairstyles, and I hope to never feel that way. Again, whether our hair is straight or in it's natural texture does not define professionalism.  There are a lot of people with crazy looking hair that will never go natural, but that doesn't mean that they look more professional than I do.
Image via leagueofblackwomen.org -
How dissimilar are these two women?
In all honesty, I really believe that the issue is: do we think that the powers that be (usually a person of another race) will hire us if we don't look as much like them as possible. For my two cents, the answer is, it depends. I truly believe that the biggest impediment to my being hired will NEVER be my hair. It could be my gender, it could be my race, it could be my color, it could be my qualifications, it could be my age, it could be my personality, it could be the way I present myself in the interview, it could be the cut or color or quality of my suit, it could be my makeup, or the sound of my voice - in other words there are too many other factors involved in the hiring process for me to change a piece of myself because of the possibility that this person takes such offense to my hairstyle, that he or she wouldn't want to work with me. And if that is the case, why would I want to work with them? And how will it ever change if we just conform to an idea of what we think others think?

And when it is a fellow black woman questioning our hair and our choices, it may be an opportunity for us and for her. Ask her why she feels that way, and why she wanted to comment. Maybe she thinks that she is helping you...maybe you can explain your position. Maybe it will spark an interesting and informative dialogue. Or maybe you'll just ask her to keep her opinion to herself....

Read the article, and please let me know what you think.


You have read this articlenatural hair / professionalism / workplace politics with the title Hampton University - PLEASE STOP! Natural Hair in the Workplace..... You can bookmark this page URL http://twisthairstyles.blogspot.com/2013/11/hampton-university-please-stop-natural.html. Thanks!
Write by: Unknown - Saturday, November 23, 2013

Comments "Hampton University - PLEASE STOP! Natural Hair in the Workplace...."

Post a Comment