Today's Hair (w/Instructions) - September 2nd (Updated with Styles from the Week)

Today in my exercise post, I mentioned that I was taking part in Nappyfru's 30-day updo challenge. To that end, this morning after washing and conditioning my hair, I created a new updo.  It is a departure for me, because I flat-twisted my hair up and into a pony-bun thing...that I will modify during the course of the week.  It is interesting because I rarely plan to go to work with a head full of flat-twists, although I have worn my hair flat twisted all back with the ends done in some kind of decorative cinnamon-roll bun thing, but in any event - this feels somewhat different. We'll see how it goes over during the week.  

This style reminds me of a flat-twisted version of a hairstyle that I called "The Lollipop" in my book, One Hairstyle, Thirty-one Ways on Amazon.com. But I also feel the influence of a really pretty bun updo that I saw earlier this week, although I can't say that I had the same results. It would have looked very different if I hadn't made a bang, and instead flat-twisted the front into the bun. Or added pieces to the bun - either of which are options if you wish to try a similar style.... Anyway, this is how it ended up - and please know that when I start these styles that I don't really have a full plan in mind so what you see is my first try...

Here are the steps:

1. Section off a part of the front of your hair. The hair in that section will be used to form a bang. You will spearate that hair into 4-5 flat-twists going forward toward the face, and either roll them under to create a faux bang, or to twist into a single unit and pin back, as if to form a small pompadour.

2.  Take the rest of the hair and split it into at least 4 even sections. You may wish to put each section into a ponytail in order it keep it out of the way as you flat-twist.

3. Split each section into two flat-twists. Flat-twist upwards toward the crown of the head. When you reach the crown, two-strand twist any excess hair. Repeat until all 8 (or more) flat-twists are completed.

4. Style the ends as desired, although I chose to place the ends into a bun.

5. I then incorporated the ends of my pompadour into the bun.

Here are my updates from the week:


Variation 1

I took the loosened ends of the flat twists from the front, separated the hair into two sections, one section having about 3/4 of the hair, the other section with only 1/4 of the hair.

The side with the majority of the hair was split in two, and the hair was wrapped around the previously formed bun.

I then took the section of loose hair and swooped it to one side, and pinned the ends in place underneath the stretched section of hair.

Variation 2

I loosened the flat twists from the front, took down the bun, and put the ends of the twists and the loose hair in a ponytail holder in the front of my head.

I tucked the ends under and pinned them in place.




You have read this articlebun / flat twists / hairstyle / instructions / natural hair / New Day. New 'do. / newdaynewdo / updos with the title Today's Hair (w/Instructions) - September 2nd (Updated with Styles from the Week) . You can bookmark this page URL http://twisthairstyles.blogspot.com/2013/09/today-hair-winstructions-september-2nd.html. Thanks!
Write by: Unknown - Monday, September 2, 2013

Comments "Today's Hair (w/Instructions) - September 2nd (Updated with Styles from the Week) "

Post a Comment