Cellulite? Is There a Cure? & Weekly Exercise Post (8/19 - 8/25)

Last week I was having a conversation about cellulite - mainly, how do you get it, and can you get rid of it? I wanted to see if there is a solution, so I did some research.  First, I wanted to make sure I could define it. Cellulite is the collection of fat that pushes against the connective tissue beneath a person's skin. Picture pillows of fat, then imagine that the fat is attached to the skin by bands (called septae). In women, the septae pull straight down like a button on a cushion, making little compartments of fat or dimples. This makes the surface of the skin pucker and look lumpy. Cellulite is most commonly found on the thighs, stomach, and butt. Most girls and women, and some men, have cellulite.
 

Sorry B, but most people have cellulite.
Image via paleoforwomen.com
Test: You can check to see if you have cellulite by pinching the skin around your upper thigh. If it looks a bit lumpy, you probably have it.

Weight is only one of several factors determining whether a person ends up with cellulite. Your genes (does it run in the family?), amount of body fat, age, thickness of your skin (it tends to thin as we age), all affect whether you have cellulite, and whether it can be seen. Gaining weight can add to your cellulite by making your fat cells bigger, sometimes making your most susceptible areas look lumpier. Generally losing weight reduces the appearance of cellulite. If, however, you are at or near your ideal weight and have cellulite, losing weight may make the skin looser, and therefore make your cellulite more obvious.

It doesn't matter what causes cellulite, there aren't any miracle cures. But if you want to reduce the amount of cellulite you have, the best thing to do is to decrease excess body fat (if you have it).  Everyone with cellulite should try an exercise routine that combines aerobic exercise with strength training since it is the best weapon against cellulite. Some trainers suggest building up the muscles in the back of the leg and in the buttocks can mask cellulite. A reduction in sugary processed foods may also slow the breakdown of connective tissue in the body, and therefore slow or reduce the appearance of cellulite. Cellulite has also been linked to poor circulation, and some natural remedies that may improve circulation include: ginkgo biloba (may fight inflammation, swelling, improve circulation); horse chestnut (known to reduce the signs of chronic venous insufficiency), and white willow bark (blood thinner). Please consult a physician before taking any supplements or entering into a new fitness routine.

Other, less permanent solutions, include:
 
1. Caffeine based cellulite creams. They work by pushing water out of fat cells, temporarily reducing the appearance of dimples;  
2. Spa Treatments. Some people have found minimal success with Endermologie. It rolls and suctions the skin in order to break up fat tissue; and
3. Deep tissue massage. It may also work to break up fat tissue.

Source 1, 2, 3, 4
=======================================================

Monday:

Goal: Boxing/Animal August (see post)

Nutrition: I ate scrambled eggs, a slice of whole wheat toast, southwestern veggie with quinoa soup, a bagel with low-fat spread, 1/4 pineapple, a chicken strip and 1/2 a biscuit yesterday. It is what it is.

Hair: In a very tight top knot. I washed, deep conditioned, and put it in a ponytail after boxing.  

Outcome: I went to boxing, I did my AA challenge. I was a bad sport in class, and in an overall sour mood for a good part of the day.
=====

Tuesday:

Goal: Animal August & Something

Nutrition: I ate a bagel with a scrambled egg, chicken sausage, and cheese. I plan on soup for a late lunch.

Update: I had the soup, I also had some yogurt with a little granola and carmelized almond bits, some hummus and baby carrots, watermelon, and about 7 caramel cream candies. I also had tea and sugar in my tea, and about a 1/4 cup of apple juice. I've been good about only drinking water or lemon infused tea, so I was disappointed in myself for having the unecessary sugar.  

Hair: Still in ponytail.

Outcome: I'm turning into a bad sport when it comes to boxing, so I may need to step back and reflect for a day or two. We'll see. I did 50 jumping jacks and 20 walking lunges when I got up this morning. I went to boxing, but since we didn't have any ring time today - I didn't have to worry about my sportsmanship. PERFECT. I also did my AA.
=====

Wednesday:

Goal: Boxing/Running/AA

Nutrition: I had half a bagel, egg, cheese, and turkey sausage thus far. And 4 caramel creams for the day. Unfortunately, I also had a little salmon, green beans, hummus and crudites, a little fruit salad, some sweet potato bisque, a grapefruit and 2 cookies. Oh and tater tots. 

Hair: Same.

Outcome: I went to boxing and did AA
=====

Thursday:

Goal: AA/Running

Nutrition: Salmon, green beans, soup, yogurt & granola,  a couple of caramel creams - nuggets & fries. 

Hair: Same

Outcome: No exercise. 
======

Friday:

Goal: AA/Something

Nutrition: Sandwich on whole wheat, salad, fruit salad, soup, apple pie, a cookie, a taco salad (where I did not eat the whole bowl), and a grapefruit.  

Hair: I did Bantus but didn't have enough time to let them dry so I turned it into some kind of pony/bun thing. I re-Bantu'd when I got home. 

Outcome: No exercise.
======

Saturday:

Goal: AA/Boxing

Nutrition: Two chicken strips & fries. A piece of cake. Some crackers and pimento cheese.  

Hair: Undid the Bantus. I did a faux bob, then I decided I didn't like it and did some new updo. I might do a post about it.  

Outcome: I did go to boxing. It was AMAZING!!! No AA.
=====

Sunday:

Goal: AA/Run
Nutrition: Grapes. Bagel with butter. Bag of Sour Patch Kids. JJ Fish - fish sandwich & fries. 1/4 Pineapple.

Hair: Up in a messy bun.

Outcome: I went to boxing.
You have read this articleexercise / fitness / health / nutrition with the title Cellulite? Is There a Cure? & Weekly Exercise Post (8/19 - 8/25). You can bookmark this page URL http://twisthairstyles.blogspot.com/2013/08/cellulite-is-there-cure-weekly-exercise.html. Thanks!
Write by: Unknown - Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Comments "Cellulite? Is There a Cure? & Weekly Exercise Post (8/19 - 8/25)"

Post a Comment