Oil Cleansing Method - Part I



I want clearer, nicer skin. As it stands now I'll leave the house without makeup, but it definitely isn't the way I want it to look. My skin was ok throughout high school, but got worse towards the end of my college career. Since then I've had times when my skin was really clear due to a series of prescription medications and times when it has been bad enough for someone asking me (kindly, or as kindly as possible) if I've had some type of allergic reaction. I've done food cleanses, multi-part skin wash routines, scrubs, chemical peels, etc, but my skin still isn't where I would like it to be. Now I'm trying something I read about years ago, but never actually added to my routine.

I'm starting a new journey with the oil cleansing method. I'll be cleaning my skin using some of the same products that I've been using on my hair. I started a few days ago and I'll try to keep doing it, and try to keep you updated. ( I will do a Rosemary and Grey Hair Part III one day soon, I promise.)

Apparently the best way to dissolve oil is to use oil:

African man in pajamas holding washcloth to face
Maybe he's using the oil cleansing method

Oil dissolves oil. One of the most basic principals of chemistry is that “like dissolves like.” The best way to desolve a non-polar solvent like sebum/oil, is by using another non-polar solvent similar in composition: other oils. By using the right oils, you can cleanse your pores of dirt and bacteria naturally, gently and effectively, while replacing the dirty oil with beneficial ones extracted from natural botanicals, vegetables and fruit that heal, protect and nourish your skin. When done properly and consistently, the OCM can clear the skin from issues like oily skin, dry skin, sensitive skin, blackheads, whiteheads and other problems caused by mild to moderate acne–while leaving your skin healthy, balanced and properly moisturized.” Source
SUPPLIES

Castor oil
The Castor oil is the active ingredient in this mix. For more details about its properties and uses, see my post about it here.

Thinner oil of choice: Olive oil, Grape Seed oil, Sunflower Seed oil, etc.
I believe that people generally start an Olive Oil/Castor Oil mix. I chose Grape Seed Oil/Castor Oil.

Small, clean plastic bottle
I used a 2 oz. plastic pump bottle and filled it up about 2/3 of the way.

Wash cloth

Hot water

MIX

My mix

Figure out if your skin is oily, balanced, or dry. That will help you determine the ratio of oils that you will use to cleanse your skin. If your skin is naturally oily you will use a higher percentage of Castor oil to thinner oil ratio than those with balanced or dry skin who will use lower percentages of Castor oil in comparison. 

Don't make a lot at first because you may want to adjust your ratios. Make more when you figure it out. Some suggestions are:
  • Oily Skin: Try 1 part thinner oil to 3 parts Castor oil.
  • Balanced Skin: Try 1 part thinner oil to 1 part Castor oil.
  • Dry Skin: Try 3 parts thinner oil to 1 part Castor oil. 
I used to classify my skin as oily, but in the past year or so I've used Jojoba oil as my moisturizer and my skin has seemed more balanced. I, however, started with 1 part Castor oil to 3 parts Carrier (Grape Seed) oil because I wasn't prepared to treat my acne-prone skin as balanced because the jojoba could have just been masking its oily tendencies. I may need to adjust my recipe in the near future.

The oil cleansing method is supposed to stop us from using harsh chemicals and aggressively cleansing our skin. After using the oil cleansing method, our skin should have a more balanced oil production....But if you use the ratios listed above, and your skin ends up feeling dry, use less Castor oil.

CLEANSING YOUR SKIN

Initially you may perform the full routine at night, wipe your face with a damp warm cloth in the morning and follow up with a moisturizer.

It doesn't take much oil...
1. Wash your hands thoroughly before you begin.
2. Pour or pump about a quarter sized amount into your palm and warm between your hands.
3. Massage your face with the oil for at least a minute with firm but gentle circular motions. I listened to a song on the radio to make sure I spent enough time massaging my skin.
4. Soak your washcloth in hot (but not scalding) water. Cover your face with the washcloth for about 20 seconds or until the cloth cools. You are essentially giving yourself a steam treatment and drawing out the oil and impurities in your pores at the same time. 
5. Rinse off the same cloth in hot running water, wringing out any oil that has accumulated, then gently wipe any remaining oil off of your face. This mix should also take off any and all makeup you had on for the day. 
6. If you do not feel that you've gotten all of the oil off of your skin, repeat steps 5 and 6. 
7. If your skin feels dry or tight after wiping off the oils use either a drop of the oil blend or another oil of choice (I used Jojoba) as a finishing moisturizer.

MY RESULTS  

My skin felt soft and moisturized when I finished cleaning my face. I had to resist the urge to scrub my face when I was wiping off the oil, but even without scrubbing it did feel as if I had exfoliated. Overall I liked the process because it was easy, fairly quick, and used stuff I already had on hand. I'm going to continue to try it, and I'll let you know how my skin does in Part II.         

Sources 1, 2, 3

You have read this articlecastor oil / DIY / Oils / recipe / skincare with the title Oil Cleansing Method - Part I. You can bookmark this page URL http://twisthairstyles.blogspot.com/2012/10/oil-cleansing-method-part-i.html. Thanks!
Write by: Unknown - Friday, October 5, 2012

Comments "Oil Cleansing Method - Part I"

Post a Comment