"Curly" Weave is a New Trend for Summer? - Updated

The topic of looking like a natural versus being natural has has popped up several times over the past few weeks...I've done a number of stories on the "natural look" lately (Halle, Real Hair Don't Care?, Celebrities and the Natural Look, Jill Scott), with celebrities being prominently featured. Well, I just ran across another story about the curly look....as in hair that is supposed to have a similar texture to the hair growing out of your head, but is actually a wig or weave. The writer, a fashion blogger and loc wearer, spoke to some naturals and shop owners about the topic, and overall had some interesting things to say in the article. I wouldn't classify Indian hair as being similar to my natural hair (MAYBE my pressed natural hair, or the Indian hair was processed to make it super coily) but maybe that's just me. I added a photo from the post below. Check out the story here.

I've said this before, I am going to treat the "natural look" wearers as ambassadors...I think it looks pretty and it may bring more acceptance for those wearing their natural hair. The only problem with these ambassadors is that a lot of people are going to be VERY sad if their own hair doesn't end up as long and as "curly" as those weaves and wigs they've admired. I'm not going to stop and question anyone that I think is wearing "natural look" wigs, weaves, or extensions because: a) its none of my business; b) it might be their own hair; and c) that person may just be taking a break from styling their own hair (whatever the reason).  But I just hope that we get to the point where people are just doing it to have a quick change, or a new style option, or to rest their hair, and NOT because they don't like the stuff that grows out of their own scalps.

Are there a lot of "natural look" wearers out there? Have you seen an increase lately? Do you care if a natural is weaved up? All the time? Do you consider a "natural look" weave to be the same as city twist/twist extensions? Do your feelings differ when the person wearing the "natural look" has a relaxer (as opposed to being natural)?  I would love to hear your thoughts.

Asya Richardson, 32, shows off the natural hair weave from India that she wears herself.  Richardson's company, Indian Princess Hair, sells natural weaves online.   ( Clem Murray / Staff Photographer )
Image from article....
  
You have read this articlecelebrities / natural look / weave with the title "Curly" Weave is a New Trend for Summer? - Updated. You can bookmark this page URL http://twisthairstyles.blogspot.com/2012/05/weave-is-new-trend-for-summer-updated.html. Thanks!
Write by: Unknown - Thursday, May 10, 2012

Comments ""Curly" Weave is a New Trend for Summer? - Updated"

Post a Comment