CURLFRIENDS: Manneck!

Natural professional, Manneck, has a lovely spirit and a creative soul. She's an early Facebook friend with FANTASTIC hair! Check her out below:

Why did you decide to go natural?
[Because] I saw one of my girlfriends wearing her beautiful natural hair.  I was a little worried by just thinking about it… but her hair obsessed me so much.  I had the opportunity to make the step. As an architect, I used to supervise/ visit sites and I was in charge.  I didn’t have time to style my hair, and the wind and dirt didn’t help. So I wore protective styles (braids extensions, twists extension, cornrows etc.).
As my natural hair was growing out, I was amazed to see and feel how my real hair was. After 1 year wearing protective styles, in January 2009, I just decided to cut it off. It was about freedom!

What stage of life were you in when you went natural (personally and/or professionally) - student, working, in a relationship, parent?
I was late in my 20’s and my professional life was really intense (it is still, but less so). I think it was one of the best moments to transition (I didn’t know anything about natural hair). I cut it after a year. I haven’t had any regrets since.
Inspirational!


What is the best compliment you've received about your natural hair?
Well I have received a lot since my hair is getting longer and longer. But what kept me motivated is after my big chop, people around me, especially my family, were skeptical about my choice.  This attitude pushed me to keep my confidence higher. A year later all of my sisters did the same thing [big chopped]. Now I’m on my way to convince my mother to be a part of the natural kinky hair community.  Yeahhh!!

Do you have one tip for a new natural?
Stay positive, patient and confident.  It’s all about transition: from perm to natural; and from natural to length.  But with a good care it’s possible.

Do you feel as if you're a part of the natural hair community?
I think so!  I did influence a lot of women around me by only wearing my hair out. When they ask me how I manage it, I just share my history saying how beneficial being finally natural brought in my life.  They usually big chopped after few months.   :)

Do you feel as if your natural hair has influenced other parts of your life?
Certainly!  As a Caribbean woman (I’m from Haiti), I feel I embrace better my cultural side and I do feel more comfortable with myself.  And also by searching a lot, I learn how to manage properly my natural hair/health, from inside to outside.

What are your top three hair products or tools? 
Water, oils, wide tooth comb/ my fingers

Feel free to friend Manneck on Facebook!
You have read this articleCurlfriends / hairstyles with the title CURLFRIENDS: Manneck!. You can bookmark this page URL http://twisthairstyles.blogspot.com/2012/05/curlfriends-manneck.html. Thanks!
Write by: Unknown - Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Comments "CURLFRIENDS: Manneck!"

Post a Comment