He Thinks You're A Broccoli Head

My boyfriend doesn't like natural hair. Sometimes that means my natural hair, but he means in general, natural hair is not his preferred look. He and I were out of town, and I spent time natural watching in restaurants, at the movies, and out on the street. After some time of this, and a few negative comments by him, he again declared that he didn't like natural hair. Since I've heard that comment from him before, we had a conversation about blanket statements, and he clarified by saying that he did not dislike all natural hair. He was just tired of seeing broccoli heads. Yes, he said Broccoli Heads, and illustrated his point by showing me a natural haired woman walking across the street.

I was shocked, but I also laughed at the word choice. Naturals look like we have clumps of sprouts (ok, florets) standing up on our heads? Her hair did look a little like broccoli though, clumpy and uneven - and that's what made it funny. He was being ignorant, but it wasn't completely off base. He's pretty well versed in the ways of natural hair. He has watched my hair over time, and has seen me through all kinds of hair experiments. His mother is natural. He's been to hair shows; had many discussions with me about maintaining styles, about twist-outs and wash-n-gos, buns, puffs, twists, etc.; and even comments on natural hair styles that he likes (once it was someone's blown-out 'fro when we were out to breakfast).

Despite all of his education - he doesn't like natural hair. His biggest issue with natural hair is not that it is chemical free, but that that too often, women sport the same look over and over again and (to him) it doesn't look cared for and styled. NO ONE LIKES A BROCCOLI HEAD. The lady he pointed out seemed to have done what I and many of us are or have been guilty of doing....letting our hair go a day or two past its prime, going out when we KNEW we needed some moisture, or walking outside when we knew (or should have known) that the back or the side was flat from laying down. And although this is a shameless plug, he's said that he thinks there are lot of natural women that could benefit from my e-book (One Hairstyle, Thirty-one Ways available for $5 on Amazon, with 31 styles and variations that can be worn on loose, loc'd, twisted or braided hair) because he gets tired of seeing twist-outs and wash-n-gos.

I'm not claiming that he is an authority or even that he's right - but he does have a point. My PSA boils down to this: Try new styles, and do a mirror check, adjust if necessary, and avoid looking like a broccoli head when you face the world.
You have read this articlebook / moisture / random with the title He Thinks You're A Broccoli Head. You can bookmark this page URL http://twisthairstyles.blogspot.com/2012/04/he-thinks-you-broccoli-head.html. Thanks!
Write by: Unknown - Friday, April 20, 2012

Comments "He Thinks You're A Broccoli Head"

Post a Comment