TWA & Coils or the Single Strand Twist

I went to an event recently and someone asked about styling their TWA. I, of course, began to reminisce about my own hair. When I did my first big chop, I went to get my hair cut and styled. The hairdresser left what looked to be about an inch of hair on my head (so probably about 2 inches stretched).

My first hairstyle was a series of coils or single strand twists that were completed with a comb and some hair gel. I loved the style as it was at the time, and the curls when I separated them later. I then tried to recreate it, and essentially did my hair in coils (exclusively) until my hair grew significantly longer.


Comb coils via blacknaps.org
Tools

-comb
-hair gel of choice/ thick styling creme
-leave in conditioner
-oil of choice (coconut, jojoba, olive, etc.)
-dryer (if desired) 

I initially began by working with my damp hair. Separate hair into fairly small sections of about 1/2 inch (or less) in diameter. Then coat each section with a layer of leave in conditioner and gel. Next take your comb, comb each section through, then go to the root of the section with the comb and begin turning all of the hair from the root to the shaft clockwise until a single coil begins to form. If that is too difficult, use your fingers to form the coil. Twist the hair as a single unit around the index finger until it is one coil.  If it seems loose, continue twisting the unit until it looks like a mattress spring. Continue doing your coils from the back of the head to the front, dampening the hair if it begins to dry. You may either sit under a dryer until the coils set, or allow them to air dry.

When you are ready to separate the coils dampen your fingers with your oil of choice and begin to style the coils as desired - either by splitting them first in half then in half again (until you reach the desired fullness) or by uncoiling them in the opposite direction to the way they were originally created and then splitting them. The latter method will reduce frizz.

Let me know if you have any style ideas for the TWA. Please take the time to "Like" my blog by clicking here.

Coil out on longer
hair. Coils done w/o combs.
You have read this articlecoils / hairstyles / twa with the title TWA & Coils or the Single Strand Twist . You can bookmark this page URL https://twisthairstyles.blogspot.com/2012/08/twa-coils-or-single-strand-twist.html. Thanks!
Write by: Unknown - Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Comments "TWA & Coils or the Single Strand Twist "

Post a Comment