CURLFRIENDS: Inna Rae!

Meet Inna Rae (eye-nah-ray). She's a poet and a singer that I met via Facebook. Check out her photos, her interview, and her site. 
Why did you decide to go natural?

When I made a conscious decision to live out my natural, spiritual purpose in this lifetime, I realized that I couldn't do it without facing the absolute truth of who I am every day.  This included sporting my natural tresses. 

What stage of life were you in when you went natural?

I was single, fresh out of college and as they say ‘had neither chick nor child’.  I worked as a high school English teacher when I faded my hair down.    

What did your significant other say about your decision?
Gorgeous shot, gorgeous twist-out
I was dating and moving toward getting very serious with my now husband when I did this.  He loved it. He liked running his hands through it and grabbing it while we kiss :)  He still does.

What have been your favorite comments about your natural hair?

I always hear…”you can do that”…”you can wear that because you have a pretty face and a round head”.  But the best compliment I’ve heard was from my son who told me at age 7, “Mom, I like your wild hair”.

 What is your go-to style?

I fade it down every 6-7 years, but when it’s a little longer I where a basic fro, and when it’s way longer my go-to is always the twists. 
Go-to style!

Do you feel like you are part of the natural hair community?
Not really.  Most of the women in my area wear weaves, wigs or perms.

Do you have a tip for a new natural?
I would tell someone who just went natural to keep their hands in their hair as often as they could.  This will get them used to the texture and will help them fall in love with it!

Has your natural hair influenced other parts of your life?

Not really.  Sometimes I get hazy looks when I am out and about... where others are not quite sure to make of my hair.  I realize that I am not making a particular statement by being who I am, so this doesn’t bug me. 

On the flip side, I see a level of respect that is gained for making this move by others and I like that.  I see it as a reflection of my own self love and respect.


What are your top three hair products or tools?

Any great shampoo and conditioner that works for your grade of hair is essential.  Any oil, butter, and light gel for wet sets are great to have.  I also keep a big wide toothed comb for when my hair is long and a nice soft brush for my faded style.


To learn more about Inna Rae and her work, you can go to: www.innarae.com
or log onto Facebook with the link below:

Photos
Black/white Photos:  By Saddi KhaliOrange Dress:  By Douglas Bovitt
DKNY Red Shirt:  Joe Chielli
Faded Hair:  By Thomas Keaton
You have read this articleCurlfriends / twa / twist-out / twists / two-strand with the title CURLFRIENDS: Inna Rae!. You can bookmark this page URL http://twisthairstyles.blogspot.com/2013/03/curlfriends-inna-rae.html. Thanks!
Write by: Unknown - Sunday, March 10, 2013

Comments "CURLFRIENDS: Inna Rae!"

Post a Comment