One Hairstyle, Two Reactions


I wore my hair in Bantu knots the other day. While I love them as a prep style (see my e-book, One Hairstyle, Thirty-one Ways for instructions and styles) I don't normally think of them as an out and about style because with my hair almost always in twists, my parts aren't generally even; my Bantus tend to point up like unicorn horns; and I don't think that they suit my face enough to be a go to style. But I went out with my hair in Bantus. After the decision was made, there was nothing to do except be confident in my choice. They met my basic requirements in that they looked like I created the style on purpose, they were moisturized, and they looked fresh. I thought worrying about anything else would just be silly.

Anyway, I say all of this to say that when I went into a local chain store I received two very different reactions. One woman called across a parking lot to tell me how much she liked my hair, and one woman pointed me out to someone else and snickered. One was natural in her late '20's to early '30's with a puff, and one was in her early '50's and had a relaxer with chunky blond highlights. The woman with the relaxer was the one that called out the compliment.

I don't know what it means. I guess I would have expected silence or support from the natural, but it shouldn't be a given. Opinions are like ***holes in that everyone has one, and I can't predict what they will be based on someone's packaging. Besides, I didn't like her hair either, I was just sticking with the "If you don't have anything nice to say...."rule. Oops, I guess I just broke it!

Have you ever been surprised by a fellow natural's reaction to your hair?



You have read this articleBantu / book / hairstyle / random with the title One Hairstyle, Two Reactions. You can bookmark this page URL http://twisthairstyles.blogspot.com/2012/11/one-hairstyle-two-reactions.html. Thanks!
Write by: Unknown - Monday, November 26, 2012

Comments "One Hairstyle, Two Reactions"

Post a Comment