Celebrities and the Natural Look


Cher and Chaz at the 2012 GLAAD
Awards this week.

"Afro Hair" wigs and weaves have come a looooong way, and judging from the number of celebs wearing the "natural look", people have noticed. Recent examples include Cher, Kelly Rowland, and Halle Berry. (Although we shouldn't forget Diana Ross and Eryka Badu...)

Kelly Rowland has had variations of the wavy, curly natural look throughout the past few years, and it seems to be her current style of choice. She's had variations of this look at an Essence Magazine luncheon earlier this year, on TV (I saw her on LaLa's Full Court Life last week), and in concert. She looked like a natural doing it... 
Via Essence.com
In concert
Speaking of Kelly Rowland, someone asked me via Facebook if I'm counting wigs and weaves as natural hair because I featured her in a celebrity post (Hey Look, It's....). I don't know what Kelly Rowland is doing under her weave/wig, and I made sure NOT to name it Curls on the Street because I  wasn't sure what to make of her hair. I try to feature only "natural" hair in that feature.

But my perspective is this, if we call anyone that doesn't have chemicals in their hair natural, (whether they press it, weave it, cover it with a wig, half wig, or have extensions), how can I be so sure that Kelly Rowland should be excluded? I would prefer that we were seeing her hair - like we saw Viola Davis' or Esperanza Spalding's, or Venus Williams' and Raven Symone's (on occasion), but I can't make that choice for her. Maybe this is a reflection of Kelly Rowland's natural journey. 

Halle's new hair,
Beverly Hills, CA on 4/23
Hey girl, I see you
changed your hair!
As a person who wears my hair natural, I love the look - because it looks like natural hair. I've seen the natural look weave sold at hair shows, and we've all seen celebrities wearing them. I'm glad that they appreciate the look enough to emulate it. I'm glad that they are putting it in their style rotations. I think it brings attention to what natural hair can and does look like. In fact, I'm choosing to look at them as natural hair ambassadors - drawing attention and admiration to the look. It's really convincing - and some natural whose hair you admired on the street or in an ad might be wearing a wig or a weave! But who knows - maybe these people are making more people go natural, or at least appreciate the look.

But my question to you is - how do you feel about the "natural look"? Is it different when it is Cher versus Halle? Does it affect natural hair as a "movement"? Is there a movement?
You have read this articlecelebrities / hairstyles with the title Celebrities and the Natural Look. You can bookmark this page URL http://twisthairstyles.blogspot.com/2012/04/celebrities-and-natural-look.html. Thanks!
Write by: Unknown - Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Comments "Celebrities and the Natural Look"

Post a Comment