I've been using....

A few weeks ago I took my two-strand twists out. I was ready for an extended break from a style that I've
worn consistently for almost two years. Although I've created many styles that I love (and that you can see in my book, One Hairstyle, Thirty-one Ways), it was time to try something different.  In short, I was getting tired of my twists!

I've spent this time doing a few experiments. I've done Wash-n-Go's, some Puffs, I've done some big twist outs, but for the past week or so I've added something to the mix that I haven't used since 2002. HAIR GEL. I never expected it to have such a huge impact on my life, but it truly has!

I have loved puffs for years. I loved them when I first went natural and was finally able to wear them in 2002. Back then it was my staple style. I also wore them on and off for the first few years that I went natural again, actually probably until I made twists my number one mainstay. When I went back to them a few weeks ago, I realized that the only time I liked my puffs was when they were right at the crown of my head. I couldn't get my puffs to look nice when I tried to wear them any further back. I had enough stray short hairs that I ended up with a slightly fuzzy puff. Although I am not one that is usually concerned with having super smooth edges (I wrote a post about edges over the summer), I am also not someone that likes to look raggedy. And my edges looked raggedy.   Then I remembered that I had hair gel samples from the Bronner Brothers' Hair Show. I took some out slapped some in, and was amazed at the way my shortest hairs layed flat. Fast forward a day, and I also was amazed by the amount of flaking that I experienced.

Since I loved the look, I decided that I needed to try again. The next mixture included an olive oil based hair grease and gel. Same look, less flaking, but still too much for my liking. Finally, I think I have hit the sweet spot of gel usage....I use Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Gel as my base (and throughout my hair), then Ampro's new Olive Oil hair gel around my hairline, smooth my edges with a brush - and go!  I've still experienced some flaking, so I've been using my oils, and co-washing my hair more regularly. Thus-far I haven't experienced any ill-effects, and I really like the look. 

Do you use gels? If so, how do you use them? I know that people love EcoStyler, but what other brands do you like? 
You have read this articlemaintenance / products with the title I've been using..... You can bookmark this page URL http://twisthairstyles.blogspot.com/2012/03/i-been-using.html. Thanks!
Write by: Unknown - Thursday, March 29, 2012

Comments "I've been using...."

Post a Comment